Melbourne Demons vs Western Bulldogs, Prediction Round 1
The Bulldogs will be looking for revenge as they were outclassed by the Demons in last year’s Grand Final in a memorable event at Optus Stadium.
The Demons midfield were too strong in the latter stages of the contest, and the Demons were able to take home their first AFL Premiership since 1964.
Both sides are coming off losses in their AAMI Community Series preseason matches.
The Demons lost to the Blues 98-93, and the Bulldogs went down to the Lions 80-86, but preseason games mean very little as coaches try out a few things and experiment.
This match is shaping up as a Wednesday Night Blockbuster at the MCG.
Here is a Melbourne Demons vs Western Bulldogs Prediction for Wednesday Round 1 of the 2022 AFL Season.
AFL Tips and AFL Predictions for Round 1 of the 2022 AFL Season.
Be sure to check back before each AFL Match for AFL Tips, AFL Predictions, AFL Picks, AFL Previews, and AFL Quick Facts for each match of the 2022 AFL Season.
A star rating is used to show the confidence level of each Head to Head AFL Prediction.
⭐ = A Tough Match to Pick
⭐⭐ = A Decent Chance
⭐⭐⭐ = Should Get the Win
DraftStars has a massive AFL Season Opener Competition available for Round 1.
Pick 9 players you think might load up the stats sheet for a chance to share in the cash prizes at DraftStars
Melbourne Demons vs Western Bulldogs
Venue – MCG
Bouncedown – 7.10pm EST
2021 Season Record (Not Including Finals)
2021 Home and Away Season Scoring
|Game Total Ave
Quick Game Facts
- The Melbourne Demons won 7 straight matches on their way to winning the 2021 AFL Premiership
- The average winning margin for the last 4 matches between these two sides is 37.5 points. They have won 2 matches each in that period
- The average winning margin at the MCG is 32.8 points
- The Western Bulldogs lost their last 3 matches to close out the 2021 AFL Season
- The combined Game Total average for the last 3 matches between these two sides is 167 points
Quick Player Facts – Melbourne Demons
- Christian Petracca has an average of 31.3 disposals in his last 3 games against the Bulldogs
- Christian Petracca kicked 1 goal or more in 19 of 25 matches last season
- Clayton Oliver has an average of 34.7 disposals in his last 3 games against the Bulldogs
- Clayton Oliver had 31+ disposals in 7 of his last 10 matches of 2021
- Bayley Fritsch has kicked a total of 11 goals across his last 3 games against the Bulldogs
- Christian Salem had 25+ disposals in 9 of his last 13 games of 2021
- Max Gawn had 17+ disposals in 12 of his last 16 games of 2021
- Kysaiah Pickett has kicked 2+ goals in 7 of his past 10 matches
Quick Player Facts – Western Bulldogs
- Caleb Daniel has an average of 32.3 disposals in his last 3 games against the Demons
- Bailey Dale had 19+ disposals in each of his final 13 games of 2021
- Caleb Daniel averaged 20 kicks per game in the 2021 AFL Finals
- Marcus Bontempelli has kicked a total of 5 goals in his last 2 games against the Demons
- Marcus Bontempelli has had 26+ disposals in 7 straight matches at the MCG
- Jack Macrae has had 30+ disposals in 8 straight matches at the MCG
- Tom Liberatore had 20+ disposals in 10 of his last 13 games of 2021
- Aaron Naughton kicked a goal in 23 of 25 matches last season
Both sides finished their preseason losses off well and will come into this match with confidence.
The Bulldogs were outclassed in last years Grand Final and will be looking for revenge. The Dogs are a talented outfit, but have struggled in their forward line in recent times. Aaron Naughton is their main man up there, and will need to kick a few goals in this match.
Melbourne have a couple of the games better defenders, and will more than likely stay in this match if their midfielders are not winning the footy.
The Dogs have a star-studded midfield and the motivation of losing last years Grand Final may be enough to get them over the line.
This is a tough match to pick to start the season, but the Bulldogs are every chance.
Prediction – Western Bulldogs (Win) ⭐
Check out the AFL Markets at the new and improved PlayUp
Always remember to gamble responsibly